Monday, August 3, 2009

HENRY: Portrait Of Finishing A Small Town Dramedy

I've decided to take August and finish out the small town dramedy. I like to write to certain seasons: horror movies and dark thrillers are great to work on during winter; breezy comedies and action films during spring and summer; romantic comedies during fall. Since this screenplay is set in spring/early summer, August is a great month to go ahead and put this baby to bed.

The script is 124 pages long. Each week my writing days each are Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. (Friday through Sunday is work. Monday is recovering from work.) So, three writing days per week, multiplied by four weeks in August. That's twelve writing days for the month, divided by 124 pages. That's about ten pages per writing day, or thirty pages a week.

I'm doing something extra-sneaky...I mean, "smart." I'm printing out the thirty pages for that week and taking them to work, polishing/rewriting them on my breaks. This amounts to an extra pass over the screenplay, on top of the "official" polish/rewrite I'm doing on my "official" writing days. It's like having two polish/pass/rewrites in one. I know, it's a stellar plan. I'm impressed myself.

But, that's tomorrow. Tonight, I'm grilling fish and watching one of my favorite horror movies - a recently-bought copy of the 2-disc special edition of HENRY PORTRAIT OF A SERIAL KILLER. This movie is utterly disturbing. In 1985, a couple of indie producers in Chicago wanted to cash in on the HALLOWEEN/FRIDAY THE 13TH popcorn horror movie craze, so they hired director John McNaughton to deliver one. Instead, he made real-life horror movie - a cold, brutal, unflinching look at the life of a serial killer. This movie is as unsettling as it gets, with an the ending that punches you in the stomach. There's also a making-of documentary. Can't wait. After, I'll need watch dvr-ed How I Met Your Mother and The Big Bang Theory to balance out the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment