Thursday, May 21, 2009

HK/American Crime Thriller

I love 90's Hong Kong crime thrillers - John Woo, Ringo Lam and Johnny To bringing us the best. Five years ago, after seeing and loving COLLATERAL, I wanted to transplant a HK crime thriller into a slick, stylish, American Michael Mann milieu. (Alliteration rules!) That's a long way of saying I wanted it to walk like a HK movie and talk like a Michael Mann movie. That's a longer way of saying, I wanted to write an American version of a 90's HK crime thriller.

Anyway.

I write 20 pages or so, and really like it, but I get distracted by other things. It sits in my hard drive until earlier this year when I pull it out and finish a rough draft in about a month. I plan to complete the second draft, in seven page chunks, by the end of June.

I'll be writing it to a Rhapsody playlist of Crystal Method and Juno Reactor. Their sleek, moody electronica perfectly sums up the atmosphere of the script.

No comments:

Post a Comment