Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Shawn Colvin & The Small Town Dramatic Comedy

I have write to music. It makes the act of screenwriting more cinematic. (Plus, I'm a music fanatic and I have an excuse to listen to music.) For dramatic comedies, I write to artists, whereas horror and action I use soundtracks from other movies in that particular genre. (Did I use "whereas" right? I think so. I never get to use "heretofore," or "wherewithal." Or "henceforth.")

Anyway, last year, the first draft of the small town dramatic comedy was written to a Rhapsody playlist of Kathleen Edwards and The Jayhawks. These choices never felt quite right but they served the purpose. I started the rewrite using the same list but quickly decided I needed to find the artist(s) that fit this world.
After a strenuous search on Rhapsody (okay, ten minutes), I decide Shawn Colvin best captured the spirit of this screenplay.

I like Colvin. I have her Steady On CD on its own playlist (for cooking supper when I want to listen to it.) I have Fat City and A Few Small Repairs, along with some Jonatha Brooke on the screenplay playlist, and it's the perfect accompaniment for a breezy, whimsical story.

No comments:

Post a Comment