Thursday, October 22, 2009

October Horror Project Part II/The 19-Pager

The Richard Laymon-inspired 19-pager is now at page 63. It has been a wild ride, to say the least. (It wouldn't be any other kind of ride when you use the horror cult author extraordinaire as inspiration.) This is definitely Laymon-lite. There's no way his level of violence and depravity would ever make it to a movie or TV screen.

It's been an interesting experience as ideas seem to flow. The reason I stopped at 19 pages last year was because I had a great beginning that I had to get down on paper, but no idea how to proceed. I still didn't have ideas going in now, but those 19-pages felt like the set up for a Laymon story. Since I love three of his novels - Endless Night, One Rainy Night and After Hours, and I count him somewhat as an influence, this could be my chance to pay homage to the late horrormeister. And since this takes place basically in real time over a 24 or 48 period, like a lot of Laymon books, my creativity, channeling Laymon, seem to hit stride.

Of course, this is all a very rough, first draft, but it looks like it will be done by the end of the month.

No comments:

Post a Comment