Monday, October 26, 2009

October Horror Project Finished

My ode to the (unfortunately) late, great horror author Richard Laymon is complete. A very rough first draft anyway. Like the September sports comedy, I can't tell what I have yet. It "seems" good; "seems" to work. I'll know more once I venture into the eventual rewrite.

I'm beginning to wonder if all of this, "I'm not sure what I have, but it 'seems' to be working," is for a reason. In the past I've had an innate sense of what was working in a story, or script, and what wasn't. But that was when I was tackling one project at a time, completeting a draft that I could submit to companies, before moving onto the next script. My current plan for September, October, November and December - to barrel through very rough first drafts of scripts that I had already outlined, or had an idea of the shape of the story, is a new approach for me. Maybe because the speed in which I'm writing is causing this uncertainty of the quality ideas, as I'm writing mostly on creative instinct and not careful planning. Or maybe I'm on the precipice of the next level of my writing, as the September sports comedy is the first pure-comedy script I've written, and the October horror script is striking out into subject matter that is brand new territory for me.

I think it's the latter.

No comments:

Post a Comment