Friday, February 10, 2012

I Write To Music

Some writers do, some don't. For me it sets the mood. It helps create the atmosphere of the genre in which I'm writing, and makes it seem more like I'm writing a movie, not just writing a script. (Therefore, it's more fun to write.)

Atmosphere is everything in film. Think about it. The good-to-great films have a specific vibe. You feel like you're placed inside the world of that movie for 90-120 minutes. The fair-to-bad films usually feel like they could take place anywhere. They feel like widgets.

If the screenplay I'm working on is horror, a thriller, or action, I write to scores of other movies. Some I've purchased over the years. A lot comes from Rhapsody - which is a Godsend for music lovers and screenwriters who write to music. Comedies, relationship comedies, drama and dramedies, I like to write to artists who fit the mood of the genre. I'll compile a massive playlist on Rhapsody. As I write the rough draft, I'll choose the best songs off each record, and form a final playlist of 40-50 songs that I can write to for the final rewrite later.

No comments:

Post a Comment