Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Dana Parish

I'm a Myspace music whore. (I said "music," ladies. No e-mails, please, I'm taken. She doesn't know it. She's never met me, but I'm taken.) Anyway. So, yeah, I love Myspace music. I always get "Friend Requests" for various struggling artists trying to claw their way to the top of the indie heap. Most of these artists will be clawing for a very long time because they sound like each other. (Like, in the late '90's. I mean, really, could anyone tell Puddle of Mudd, Staind, The Disturbed, or Drowning Pool apart? I'm still convinced Creed and Godsmack are the same band.) Anyway.

Indie music breaks down roughly into these categories: plaintive older chick with piano or acoustic guitar; angry younger chick with electric guitar and drum machine; fuzzy guitar band with or without melody; angry guitar band without melody; guy who sounds like Dave Matthews.

Then came Dana Parish.

I got a "Friend Request" from Parish late 2007. I promptly clicked over to her page, ready to deny the request, and "Not My Problem Now" began. I played the song over at least three times. The vocals and melody were the right mix of jazz, soul and pop. Figuring it was a fluke (I mean, everyone has at least one good song, except Nirvana) I clicked on "Hung Up." After I dried my eyes and made sure my blinds were closed during my pathetic display of girl-crying, I realized I stumbled upon a truly talented, truly innovated, truly special artist.

So, do yourself a favor. Go here: www.myspace.com/danaparish. Her new single "Let It Go By" is wonderful. Absolutely no drop-off whatsoever in quality.

Speaking of "dropping," drop her an e-mail, tell her how awesome she is. Drop my name and get 10% off all purchases. (I'm serious. That's not a joke. She will totally knock 10% off.)

No comments:

Post a Comment