Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Bob Mould

I'm listening to the two latest Bob Mould CD's as I write these "buh-logs" today - "Body Of Song" and "District Line." I'm a Sugar-slash-Bob Mould solo Bob Mould fan, not a Husker Du Bob Mould fan. (Only because I'm not that into punk.)

I always thought Sugar was the best band 90's band that you never heard of. (I know ending sentences in a preposition is gramatically incorrect. I don't care. Moving on.) Sugar and, to a lesser extent, Matthew Sweet and Teenage Fanclub, were the masters of the sweet pop on the outside with a crunchy guitar center. (Okay, that was stupid. I don't care. Moving on.) They were The Replacements of the '90's.

My favorite Sugar songs: "The Act We Act," "Hoover Dam," "Man On The Moon," "If I Can't Change Your Mind," "Your Favorite Thing," "Can't Help You Anymore," "Explode And Make Up," and, especially, "Believe What You're Saying."

Bob Mould is the Springsteen/Dylan of the underground. "Poison Years" is one of my favorite songs of all time, by anyone. "Next Time That You Leave" is the perfect summation of what Bob Mould does best. "Old Highs, New Lows, " "Thumbtack," "Deep Karma Canyon" is fabulous, but too short. (Why did you do that incredible chorus only once Bob?)

History will prove Bob Mould to be as influential to the punk and alternative world as his contemporaries were to the mainstream.

No comments:

Post a Comment